Someone will ask "can I use this for standing press?"
Yes. But I preferred it for the seated press at the time.
We pressed 3 times a week during this routine. I think we ran it for maybe 6-8 weeks before we got crispy.
Mondays and Fridays -
Seated Front Press -
5,4,3,2,1,1,1,1,1 - All the singles at the same weight
Dips - bodyweight only - 4 sets of 20 or as many as you could get on Monday. On Friday do 3 sets of 5 weighted.
Side Lateral/Front Raise Super Set - 5 rounds of 15-20
Upright Rows - 4 sets of 20
Tuesday - Squats and Leg Work
Incline Press - 5 sets of 5 Same weight for all 5 sets after warming up
Rear Laterals - 4 sets of 10
Back and Bicep Work (pulldowns/rows/curls)
Notes to making this program more effective -
- Start out LIGHT. It's a lot of volume and if you go in all gung ho you will end up with sore joints and maybe injured down the road.
- Use the Incline Press day to STAY light through the whole program. Think of it as like a recovery movement. The 5 sets of 5 should be nice and crisp and make you feel better.
- Invest in some elbow sleeves. Pressing 3 times a week can be hell on your elbows.
- A good little strategy is to have a goal in mind for what you want to hit for the 5 singles, then track back 6 weeks by 5 pounds per session. So that's 2 sessions a week, 5 pounds per session. So for example, if you wanted to do 275x5 singles you would do the following......
week 1 -
session 1 - 220
session 2 - 225
week 2 -
session 1 - 230
session 2 - 235
week 3 -
session 1 - 240
session 2 - 245
week 4 -
session 1 - 250
session 2 - 255
week 5 -
session 1 - 260
session 2 - 265
week 6 -
session 1 - 270
session 2 - 275
- Using the standing press for this would certainly build a nice yoke. BUT, use the clean and press with it. Don't take it off the rack.
- Don't worry too much about progression on the assistance stuff. You will do some heavy dips once a week however.
- More on assistance - try to reduce the amount of time between sets rather than increasing weight. Keep the weight on that stuff light to medium. It should give you a hell of a pump but not destroy you energy wise.
- Try to keep the rest time between the singles to 2 minutes max. You don't have to time it, but don't be fucking around.
- Start light
- Stat light
- Start light